Monday, August 29, 2011

Big fucking changes

This week I am taking my child, my baby, my excuse for not attending events I'm not interested in, to boarding school.

The husband and I will be driving her down later this week, and I am so far handling it o.k. 

If by that I mean I haven't outright sobbed. I've gotten a little verklempt and a bit teary on occasion, but mostly it's been one foot in front of the other [and soon you'll be walking 'cross the floor*] and I've been pushing the idea that I won't have my kid around all the time very, very, VERY far out of my mind.

It helps that I've had a migraine off and on since last Sunday and the whole back pain thing to concentrate on.  I'm wondering if this is all stress-related?  Hmmm . . .

We had a going away party for the girl's friends on Saturday and it was a great lot of fun.  I had a lot of help from my family and in-laws and friends and the husband, which made me feel awfully lazy, but also quite like the princess I deserve to be.  Particularly when I was sitting in my air-conditioned house, with my heating pad, chatting with a group of friends far, far away from the 25+ loud teenagers and mosquitoes outside.  I was really o.k. with that.

Most people left after about 4 or 5 hours, but two of my good friends stayed [with their kids] until much later.  That was nice, except I had this horrifying moment when I was sitting there, chatting with them and thinking, "Hey, we should all get together in a couple of weeks" and then I realized NO! MY GIRL WILL NOT BE HERE! and I had to take a couple of surreptitious deep breathes before I could continue snark talking about our lack of interest in yard work, and how that makes the retirees in our respective neighborhoods feel [hint: not really smiley].

So that's one major change coming up.  It's a fucking doozy.

The other major change is that I'm going to be taking Fridays off for a while.  I love this blog, I really do, but I'm feeling kind of frantic right now and I think dropping down a bit will make me feel better. I'll still have Guest Posting on Tuesdays [if you're interested, let me know] and I'll be answering your questions [email me or leave them in the comments, I'll need some soon] and probably the husband will continue guest posting periodically.  I just don't want to throw up crappy content, which I feel like I've been doing a few thousand times lately. 

Of course, I'll soon be having a lot of time on my hands, so my Fridays off may just end up being for a week.  Who knows.

I love you all.  And not in that weird uncle kind of way.

XO,

Suniverse

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Do you recognize that? It amazes me how I know all the words to this song.

21 comments:

  1. What I hear you saying is: "There's a free bedroom in my house now." And what I need you to hear me say is: "I'm on my way and I'm bringing my toothbrush."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time off is good for you.

    You'll be back soon though as you'll miss us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put one foot in front of the other...and soon you'll be walking 'cross the floo-ooo-ooooor! You put one foot in front of the other...and soon you'll be walking out the door!

    Yeah. I sorta know that. It was one of my sister's favorites, meaning we watched it every day for a year. Or else she'd lose her mind.

    Anyways, hang in there. I hope your back & head work themselves out. You're probably right on the stress thing. Lord knows you have enough going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, boarding school, huh? how old is she? that must be hard on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. boarding school? I didn't know those still existed (yes, I live in a very small world inside my head most of the time) can I ask how that came about? (or have you already posted about that? I'm so behind, I know, I know.) I don't think I've ever known anyone who has any experience with boarding school (again, that small world in my head thing) it intrigues me...

    you'll still be tweeting, right? as long as I can find you somewhere I'm happy ;) xo and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might take Friday off with you. And remember now you can cyberstalk your daughter so its not like she's really going that far. That's what skype and latitutdes are for!!! Good luck and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck friend! Change is hard- but something tells me that you'll handle it seamlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang in there! I'm sure it will be tough and an adjustment all around.
    Take as many breaks as you need - your fans will be here when you're ready to return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sending you lots of hugs. letting go is the most courageous act we can do. besides going to the doctor which i did this morning to find out i have a UTI which has absolutely nothing to do with this post or anything in general. i want you to know you're loved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. changes abound - thoughts to you all through this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally understand the frantic thing and needing some time. Been feeling that way myself lately. Wishing you and your baby the best of luck! Being a mommy is so freaking hard, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well so far I'm taking that news pretty well. I'm tearing up a little but not outright sobbing...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel very sad right now.

    It all goes too fast.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and your daughter seem to have a relationship to be very proud of - congrats on giving her this amazing opportunity even if it's killing you inside. And take all the time you need - we will always be waiting here for you (and p.s. I've never thought your content sucks).
    xo
    me
    p.p.s. I'm now humming Christmas claymation songs in my head. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your retired neighbors (and those who pay for professional yard care) hate you, too?! We could be twins!

    Seriously, that's tough on the kid front . . . I mean, it has to be the right decision for her - but, damn, that's still rough.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "I'm Mr. Heat Meister, I'm Mr. Sun!" is really a better song when you're feeling down...

    Or is it when you're being felt up by your weird uncle?

    Oh my. I am so gross. Really.
    Don't mind me.

    Just hang in there, girl.
    (You AND her.)

    Love to you both.
    Big verklempt love...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am impressed that you actually have a posting schedule. That makes you a professional blogger in my book.

    They grow so fast. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with the girl and boarding school!!! Sending you good vibes! (I'm going to hell so you don't want my prayers)

    You NEVER throw up crappy content!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. aw suni, i know how you feel about the blogging part.

    as for the girl, i will keep my fingers crossed for you....i can't imagine. you are big hearted to allow and she will realize that one day....insert teary emoticon here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adopt a cat! Adopt a cat! They don't even like boarding schools. They love to nap and redefine laziness just like we do! They'll never leave you! Unless they run away or jump out the window or make a mad dash off the porch when you're bringing in groceries ... Maybe this is a terrible idea. Maybe fill the void with a gerbil? Or booze?

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, I get a lady boner.