Thursday, August 20, 2015

External vs. Internal Validation

I always get so proud and happy for people who get glowing reviews in the New York Times. (I die of shame for the ones who get the not so great reviews.)

But those who get great reviews? I mean - how awesome is that? That must feel incredible. I know, I know, you're supposed to NOT let externals validate you and your accomplishments, and sure, that's a worthy goal, Mother Theresa, but the reality is, we all feel a little better when someone or something says, "Hey, you know what? SUNIVERSE KICKS ASS." It's an ego boost and something tangible to look at and think about when you're feeling like you don't know what's good about your life.

And what a great way to shut people down:

Annoying Person:  Oh, well, yes, I've been lauded by the community free paper for my yearly recital of Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I do it for the children, of course, but it's nice to be recognized.
You: The motherfucking New York Times said I was luminous.
AP: . . .
You:  That's what I thought.

Or maybe I'm the only one who has those fantasies.

3 comments:

  1. Small towns have a way of being full of themselves. I still feel like an outsider after 45 years and would lovvvve to have the one up just one time. Just once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You speaketh the truth. Yep. It's not quite jealousy - I am delighted when friends get big kudos from the outside world but...I'd love to *experience* that feeling. First hand, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man oh man, but how that is the stuff I daydream about as I take a toothbrush to the shower tiles. xo

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, I get a lady boner.