Thursday, October 14, 2010

Info

I found this in my drafts from several years ago.  I thought it would be interesting to post.  

Or maybe I just thought it would be a good thing to post instead of nothing. 

I don't remember what this was about, or why it went around.  I guess to see how well-off you were?  Or how shitty your life was?  I don't know.

I do see that it looks as if I had a pretty good childhood.  And except for the almost suffocating over-protection, I guess I did.


Huh. 


Who knew?


***************
The list is based on an exercise developed by Will Barratt, Meagan Cahill, Angie Carlen, Minnette Huck, Drew Lurker, Stacy Ploskonka at Illinois State University. The exercise developers ask that if you participate in this blog game, you acknowledge their copyright.
Bold the ones that are true for you.



Father went to college
Father finished college
Mother went to college
Mother finished college
Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor
Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers (huh? hardly a uniform bunch)
Had more than 50 books in your childhood home
Had more than 500 books in your childhood home

Were read children's books by a parent
Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18
Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18

The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively
Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18
Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs
Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs
Went to a private high school
Went to summer camp
Had a private tutor before you turned 18
Family vacations involved staying at hotels
Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18
Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them
There was original art in your house when you were a child
Had a phone in your room before you turned 18
You and your family lived in a single family house
Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home
You had your own room as a child
Participated in an SAT/ACT prep course
Had your own TV in your room in High School
Owned a mutual fund or IRA in High School or College
Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16
Went on a cruise with your family
Went on more than one cruise with your family
Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up
You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family

1 comment:

  1. I've got nothing funny to say about this. What is the point of this list from ISU? Initially I thought it was a writing prompt-y kind of exercise, but after looking through it several times, I'm not so sure.

    Interesting. I have more that are bolded than not. I wonder what year this was crafted? And how it might be different for our generation of children?

    I will give this a think.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, I get a lady boner.