Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Day After

We had our holiday party last night.

It was a grown-ups only, get dressed up cocktail party. It was a lot of fun, and everyone had a great time. I know. I asked.

It was funny, though. E is not a terribly social person, so most of the people are people we know through me. And the groups were a mix of family/friends, actual friends, law school friends, a couple E knows from his work, and people we know from G's school. The law school people were the least social, by which I mean they huddled in a group and didn't venture out to talk to any of the other groups. I know law school students/lawyers are unbelievably socially retarded, but I was surprised that the people I'm friends with were that way. I'm pretty adept socially - there are only a few times where I feel like no one likes me and I am a social pariah, and that's generally when I'm really, really tired and PMS-y - and make it a point to go and talk to people, particularly when I don't know many people. It surprised me that they would shelter themselves off like that. Weird.

Still, it was a really good time. This despite the fact that Friday it snowed bushels and we couldn't get anything done outdoors, so E had to go to Costco on a Saturday to get supplies. Also, I broke the garbage disposal and had to have a plumber come out on a Saturday for time and half and put in a new one. And my sister kept telling me, as she got drunker and drunker, "Next year, you should do this. And that. And this other thing." Until I finally said, "Are you even having fun?" at which point she looked at me in surprise and said, "Yeah! I'm having a great time!" Whatev.

Also, we have 2 cats, and I'll be honest, we were down to the wire cleaning before the party, so I only just ran the vacuum quickly over the rug and didn't bother with the couches. Of course 3 people were allergic to cats and I had no adult Benadryl, so people were doing shots of children's cherry flavored Benadryl. WOOOHOOO!

I had fun, though. E and I enjoy throwing parties. And I love chatting with people and getting to know different things about them that a booze soaked atmosphere will bring out. Plus, people brought tons of sweets - if only I could eat them!!!

And stayed up until 2:30 am - which is 5 hours past my normal bed time. (Yes, I go to bed at 9:30. Or try to. It's usually more like 10:00 - shut up, I get up at 5:30 and I NEED MY SLEEP). I woke up at 7:15 this morning, had some oatmeal and went back to bed and watched episodes of Entourage until it was decent hour and G called from my parents wanting to come home and it sounded like other people had gotten up and were milling about.

And now, my brother-in-law and his wife are still here and we're going to play some Rock Band. AWESOME! I can't believe I have to go to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you comment, I get a lady boner.