Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Done and Done

The girl's high school applications are finally done.  I feel like we've been working on them since she was in kindergarten.  Maybe we have been.

I was listening to the insane religious radio station on my commute home the other day [because I find it bizarrely compelling, like a traffic accident or 16 & Pregnant] and the guest was a "brilliant scientist" who USED to be an evolutionist but then saw the light and is now an ardent creationist.

Because. Yeah.

ANYWAY, the host was talking about how he had heard about some "weird" theory that time was not linear but could bend in on itself and exist over and over again so that, in effect, people could see into the future.  The scientist said, sure, that's a physicists' theory, that time exists in many dimensions, but in fact only god exists in many dimensions, not people's theories and experiences of time, which is strictly linear.  The host then said, [and while I have been paraphrasing before, this is an exact quote, because it imprinted itself on my brain, it was so . . . so . . . so] "I'm looking for a real, logical explanation.  You know, like the devil's trickery or evil spells.  But this idea that time bends in on itself? That's crazy."

I.

I don't even know.

Anyway, the girl's applications are done.  If I could see into the future, I could tell you now where she got in and what our decision was about where she's going.  I feel some trickery afoot, so we may not have to wait too long to find out.  You know.

*************

On a completely different note, I have words of interest on pampering myself up at Secret Society of List Addicts.  Go. 

8 comments:

  1. "It's trickery" is the excuse I've been using for years...like whenever I go on one of my Lilo type coke binges or hole up with hookers a la Charlie Sheen. Now I see that this is not just the devil's work but also quantum mechanics!
    Good luck with the HS apps! Are they all for boarding schools?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am aghast that a "scientist" gave that response. what is this? 1539? shall we burn him at the stake for the evil trickery of physics and science?

    ReplyDelete
  3. magical thinking abounds in this world. sigh. me? i like science. it's provable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just when you finish up, it'll be time to start on the college applications. Enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wormholes, that's how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are the girl's thoughts about boarding schools? Does she have a favorite in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's trickery that that dude doesn't fall down more. I swear. Some people.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, I get a lady boner.