Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Nature is testing me, and I have had enough

I was feeling a bit sleepy and thought about taking a nap - I've not been sleeping well AT ALL [thanks, stress!] - but I was also feeling virtuous, so I decided to run a load of laundry while I lay/laid [who knows? seriously? WHO KNOWS the proper usage here?] down so that I could be like one of those housewives of the future who have time to lay around fulfilling their own desires while machines do their work for them. 

I miss the future.

Anyway, I went down to the laundry room and began loading up the washer with the towels that were laying on the floor.  I dumped the last few into the machine and noticed a

GIANT MOTHERFUCKING MANY LEGGED BUT NOT A MILLIPEDE BUG 


on the floor.  Underneath the towels I had JUST TOUCHED.  With my bare hands. 

I almost barfed.

And panicked a little.

I couldn't figure out what to do.

I didn't want to step on it, because I was wearing sandals and what if I didn't get it on the first try?  What if it skittered [is there a worse word in the English language? Seriously.  Have you ever used skittered and not felt a hundred creepy crawlies all over your skin?] and I had to chase it, stomping my foot from spot to spot like I was at a hoedown? Or doing the Electric Slide?

Or worse, what if it skittered and part of it touched me?  TOUCHED ME ON MY BARE FEET through the straps of my sandals.  There aren't enough bleach wipes in the world to get rid of that disgustingness.

So I looked around quickly with one eye, the other laser locked on the INDESCRIBABLY DISGUSTING bug [because what if it skittered????? and I had to FIND IT? Because if I didn't find it, it could then come upstairs and touch me or something I love.  And my cats are beyond fucking useless; they would just watch it go by, like it was a cat hair tumbleweed.  WITH A GAJILLION LEGS.  I'm shivering in fear right now, just at the thought of that bug in my upstairs.] - anyway, my one eye searching, the other eye laser locked, and I found the giant mop with the plastic base that I SLAMMED down on that fucking bug until it was paste.  Really.  There is just goo left on the floor.

Because I have seen horror movies and I have seen nature shows and I know that things regenerate.  They come back from the dead. You have to be sure you have killed the evildoer, and killed it but good.

Now if you will excuse me, I am heading downstairs with a book of matches and some lighter fluid, because I need to cleanse the area.

6 comments:

  1. Totally disgusting and I just shivered reading it!! We have some nasty, many legged bugs that show up in the yard - I always put a big rock on them and hope for the best. In your case, I would've done the same thing...overkill is justified in that type of situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeek - I completely sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me laugh! It's a bug! In our house? I would put a drinking glass over it to save it for the girls to inspect.

    Once they arrive home and shake it about a bit and check out whatever interesting bug-features it has?

    They either feed it to our turtle or frog, or . . . if they think it might be poisonous, we just let it go.

    You make me laugh.

    kris@prettyalltrue.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie, it's enough to make you want to stay in a hermetically sealed room. SO GROSS.

    Megan, thanks!

    Kris, what's great is that I have managed to keep my bug hatred/fear from manifesting in my daughter. She has a great interest in all creatures, and I had to make sure she understood that there are some pets that are outside pets [slugs/crickets/worms] and some that are inside [the cats, but they are on notice].

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. My cats *love* those creepy fuckers. And by love I mean they used to play with them for hours and eventually chew them up and spit them out. I moved to a new apartment a few years ago, and unfortunately, this place doesn't have gajilion-leggers. I'm sad. For the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so lucky that 1) your new apartment is creepy bug free; and 2) that your cats would actually deal with the bugs. My cats are so fucking lazy, they will WATCH the bugs go by and not lift a paw. WHAT IS THE POINT OF YOU, CAT??

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, I get a lady boner.