Monday, February 11, 2013

It's a struggle, sometimes.

I don't really discuss the fact that I had horrific post-partum depression.  Mostly because it happened a long time ago - I mean, the girl is now 16 [SIXTEEN! WTF?] - but also because there is so much and yet nothing you can say about it.

If you've had PPD - or are going through it now - it's helpful a salvation to have people you can talk to about it. If you never experienced it, it's difficult to explain how you live in misery during what is supposed to be the best time of your life.

A newborn is hard enough to manage; a newborn and crippling anxiety and depression can be overwhelming.  Even years later, I look back at that time and am stunned that I made it; that I lasted, particularly during a time when this time of depression wasn't discussed openly.

Yael Saar, who I had the great good fortune to meet and become smitten with at BlogHer12, has done the world a service by creating a safe space for women who are struggling.  She has crafted a world that is full of love and kindness - not necessarily two things I'm associated with, but things that I appreciate in others - and invites you in.

Yael Saar is a mama on a mission to remove guilt and shame from parenting. Yael is the Founder and Keeper of the Mama’s Comfort Camp, a Facebook community that functions as a safe haven and refueling station for hundreds of moms from around the world.
I'm thrilled to be one of the Campers. 
Mama's Comfort Camp


I'm guest posting today, discussing a turning point in my struggle with post-partum depression.  Come visit.

Also,Yael is hosting a healing song circle on Valentine's Day (it's accessible from anywhere via the magic of conference calling), I'm planning on participating, and we'd love for you to join us too.

6 comments:

  1. Sweetie, thank you so much for your post!
    I wish I could have had the Mama's Comfort Camp available for you when you went through PPD, just like I wish something like it could have been available for me 9 years ago.

    But my favorit thing about being in the Mama's Comfort Camp today, is that even long after I recovered from my PPD, and now that my kids are way past the newborn stage I still need all the support and community I can get, I still need a safe space to normalize the inherent difficulties of regular everyday mothering.
    I love that our group has such a diversity of ages and emotional places, it warms my heart to hear perspectives from moms of teens like you, and from some of the grandmothers in the group, and that somehow we do all this without dishing unsolicited advice and the group culture is so full of love and support.
    I am so grateful that you are there with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love Yael?

    Instantly, I wanted to grab that woman and move her here to be with me.

    SHe is pure love and acceptance and heal the world, people!

    LOVE HER.

    Happy to hear your story, Suni, because you never know, just the right person reads at just the right time, and FEELS HOPE.

    We just need to have someone say YOU WILL MAKE IT.

    Thanks for telling it, Suni. You are one in a million.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yael and S, a winning combo---heading over soon! S, love you for taking part in this. You know I've struggled w/ PPD & PPA as well. It's no fun. So glad for Yael, MCC, and everything and everyone that is better because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't met you yet Yael, but you sound amazing and I am so proud of anyone who takes care of hearts and lives like you.

    I didn't have PPD, but I very well could have, because of my infertility and horrible, scary pregnancy. I am so glad you are in the world.

    can't wait to read your piece Suni. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still remember the crippling desolation I felt when my second child was born. I was 2,000 from home, and had two babies and no one ot talk to. No one. Eventually it passed, but I still remember that time as one of the darkest in my life. That was almost 40 years ago, when there was no name for postpartum depression, and certainly no treatment.

    It warms my heart to see a place women can find the support and solace, and community that they need. Bravo

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, I get a lady boner.